Thursday, January 12, 2006

THE BOOK FAIR 2006

The Annual Chennai Book Fair is worth a place to visit for the book lovers.
I have been visiting the fair regularly. I went to the fair yesterday and bought some good collection of books.

The arrangements have been made in a good way when compared to the
previous years. The practice of book reading has increased among youngsters and children, as i can see more number of them in the fair.

There are several stalls that sell books for TNPCEE,IIT,GATE exams and solved Q&A books for tenth and plus two classes, which are selling like hot cakes. My brother who is in tenth class, also bought some of theses books. Though i can find many students buy these books, i doubt whether they really go thro these books (as my grandma told my bro "books vangarthu perusilla, atha padikanum")

Another very interesting thing is the platform book vendors outside the campus, where u can find any book under the sun. Most of the English fiction novels are sold at a very low rate as fifty rupees (duplicate copies actually).Each of those shops had the copies of the latest Da vinci code , Angels and Demons.

One thing i noticed was there were cell phones ringing everywhere, guess which ringtone is the most heard one, " SUTTUM VIZHI SUDARE".

I had the chance to see writer Anuradha Ramanan and Manushya puthiran of Uyirmai Padipagam (but not a chance to talk to them).

The best time to visit the stalls is during the day time (from 11am to 3pm), after that crowds throng the stalls and all u can see the heads and not the books.

10 comments:

Ram said...

I have planned to go this weekend, probably on Saturday morning, The habit of book reading has increased considerably in the last 5 yrs or so, but has to increase at a faster rate. Am sure that this year also Ponninyin Selvan will be the hotttest fav among readers like the previous ones, what a book, chance ae illa.

Ram said...

I have planned to go this weekend, probably on Saturday morning, The habit of book reading has increased considerably in the last 5 yrs or so, but has to increase at a faster rate. Am sure that this year also Ponninyin Selvan will be the hotttest fav among readers like the previous ones, what a book, chance ae illa.

Balaji S Rajan said...

Oh.... It brings back my old days of visiting the Book exhibitions in QMC arts college ground. Is it where you visited this time? It used be dusty, if you go in the evening. I also used to choose the same time, when there is less crowd. I should mention this. Once we bought lots of books and my kid dropped the cover which he was having in hand. Few books got slipped on the lawn before the entrance. This should have happened when we were coming out during closing hours. After reaching home I realised that few books were missing. I could not sleep till the next morning. Next morning I visited before the college gates opened. The security let me inside to go and search. Thanks to our people throwing the plastic covers. One of the security person had seen it and kept it safely. I could never forget this when I see those books even today.

வேதா said...

@ram,
u guessed right. ponniyin selvan is selling like hot cakes. there is some discount when u buy them together. even i saw some hoarding
that says that PS is issued free (when bought with another book, i dont remember exactly).

வேதா said...

@ Mr. balaji,
The book fair is still taking place in the same QMC arts college near Ethiraj college(not QUEEN MARY'S COLLEGE). now the arrangements are good , so it wont be dusty, since the ground near the stalls are covered with carpets.

Paurna said...

havent visited the book fair ever before.but i think i will go this time.it wud be appreciative if such events were held atleast twice a year

வேதா said...

@ paurna,
This book fair attracts book publishers from all over India, so its a great annual even. i hope u enjoy it.

unknown said...

nice post..about the book fair..."as my grandma told my bro "books vangarthu perusilla, atha padikanum" dialogue often we come across

Balaji S Rajan said...

Oh.. sorry... I remember Quaide-milleth Arts college. It is good they are using Carpets. I have seen writer Sujatha once there.

வேதா said...

@ ammu,
thanks and happy pongal.

@ mr.balaji,
u have met sujatha! i envy u mr.balaji. he is my favourite but i did not get a chance of meeting him