Thursday, February 09, 2006

A WEDDING, A KUTCHERI, AND ME.

Attending a wedding reception is always a threat to me. mainly bcos i hate crowd,and secondly i cannot stand the light music performance(its not like i hate light music, i am an illayaraja fan myself, personally i feel that cine songs do not fit in a wedding). so when i had to attend my friend's reception, i started late. when i decided to take my two-wheeler, my mom said "no way,usha". though i have been riding a two wheeler for more than 10 years, she is afraid of my safety, while riding in peak hour, that too to t.nagar. so, i had to take a bus.
now this was the harder part, riding in a bus, in peak hour, that too in route no.47 was like hell. but later i thanked my mom, since the traffic was very heavy and i would have found it difficult to go thro that traffic in my scooty. finally i reached my destination. thanks to the strike by private conservancy workers, the place was stinking like anything.
The wedding hall was full of chaos, i found my friend, wished her and settled in a chair. one thing i really like in a crowded place is , i really like to observe people. so ippidiye pozhutha ottinen. Around 7pm ,the music performance started, since they had mentioned a mandolin kutcheri, i expected two ladies, dressed in glittering pattu sarees, heavy make-up, ornaments. but to my surprise, two little(i meant that really they were short)girls around 15 years, simply clad in salwars walked up on the stage and for the following one hour, we were treated with great music, particularly when they played "enthero mahanu bavalu","kurai ondrum illai", "thanthana pure", we were overjoyed. it was so pleasing to find those girls rendering their talents. i really regretted that i didnt have a chance to learn music in such an earlier stage(later found out that they have been performing from the age of seven). the girls' father was sitting next to them on stage, certainly overjoyed withpride.
it is a boon to become a good musician(my mom used to say"athukellam punniyam senjirukanum"). i couldn't sit thro the whole kutcheri,since it was getting late. the stage where the bride and the bridegroom were present was crowded and i had stand to in a queue to reach them(ippelaam engengu kaninum queue)and a queue to the dining hall too . atlast i managed to come out around 8.30pm and to my surprise,a not so crowded bus back home. what a journey!!(Travelling in a city bus in a peak hour is like travellingto outstation places.)

18 comments:

Ram said...

Veda,
You like observing ppl? Preferable smart guys aaa?
Jus kidding. :-)

neighbour said...

Nalla enjoy pannareenga pola... Adhvum chennai-MTC-travelling-peak hours..cant forget the days...

"kurai ondrum illai" -This is one the inspirational songs that I ever heard.. I love this song...

Yellam soneenga mukkiaamaane mattera vittuteenga...

What abt the dinner?... Pona kariyam nalla padiyaa mudinchutahaaa :)

neighbour said...

Nalla enjoy pannareenga pola... Adhvum chennai-MTC-travelling-peak hours..cant forget the days...

"kurai ondrum illai" -This is one the inspirational songs that I ever heard.. I love this song...

Yellam soneenga mukkiaamaane mattera vittuteenga...

What abt the dinner?... Pona kariyam nalla padiyaa mudinchutahaaa :)

Raju said...

Nice description.. Kalyana/reception saappadu pathi sollavey ille?

Balaji S Rajan said...

The narration is so good that I felt as if I travelled by bus and attended the wedding. More narration about your observation would have made us nostalgic. It is many years, since I attended such a reception. Oh..... I miss Chennai ....Marriages, and receptions... Also the reception dinner. Hmmmmmmmm. Glad to know that your mom also tells like my mom... My mom often used to say that..."Avanaiyum Oru amma pethu irukka paaru... Vayiram... " and add your mom's comments.

Usha said...

I feel these kind of encouragement by inviting budding artists to weddings is a welcome change. Chumma kottai potta periyavangalaye koopitu expected stuff-e kekkaradhuku, this is better.

City bus travel panra azhagana experience day before y'day dhan kidaichudhu, adhe TNagar but I was going to work, coz I missed the company bus. Veyil, dust ellam serndhu adhi arpudhamana experience ;)

வேதா said...

@ ram,
yes i like observing people. aana neenga nenaikura madhiri illa. oru kalyanamna naalu pasanga , naalu ponnunga varunvanga, oruthara oruthar sight adichikitu thaan irupaanga. thats obvious yaar.

@ raju and neighbor,
correcta matteruku vanthuteenga. saapadu was good, athula ellam vanjanaiye kedaiyadu.

@ mr.balaji,
ella ammavum ore madiri thaan.

@ usha,
yes, travelling in city bus in peak hr is tough. at the same time, bus gaaliya irukum pothu n a corner seatla , veliyila vedikka pathukitte vara sugam vera ethileyum kedaiyathu.

Known Stranger said...

i always love going to marriage parties as i enjoy watching woman in kancheepuram saree. the beauty of southindian woman with diamond studs and grand sarees and the attitude the woman fleets in her is something that makes me enjoy watching them ( ofcourse nothing in naughty angle but i just enjoy watchign the crowd sitting in a corner and relishing the moment of what woman does. if it is my family marriage i need nto say- all the woman get pulled off.. and if any of my cousin( aunt's (athai) daughter ) shows offf - they have that day - I will fall head over heals and would make their cheeks glow in pink with my crazy , romantic comments.

I just love the marriages and being a part of others marriage function.

Known Stranger said...

i always love going to marriage parties as i enjoy watching woman in kancheepuram saree. the beauty of southindian woman with diamond studs and grand sarees and the attitude the woman fleets in her is something that makes me enjoy watching them ( ofcourse nothing in naughty angle but i just enjoy watchign the crowd sitting in a corner and relishing the moment of what woman does. if it is my family marriage i need nto say- all the woman get pulled off.. and if any of my cousin( aunt's (athai) daughter ) shows offf - they have that day - I will fall head over heals and would make their cheeks glow in pink with my crazy , romantic comments.

I just love the marriages and being a part of others marriage function.

Rajesh said...

Usha,
Kalyanam endha mandapam. Neenga maapilai sidea, ponnu sideaaa? Saapadu eppadi. Varumbodhu marakkama thenga vangindu vandheengala?

Naan oru nalla tamil kalyanam attend panni 4 varsham aachu. Lastaa attend panninadhu ennodadhu dhaan. Time for the next one. I mean attending :-)

வேதா said...

@known stranger,
enna kalyanathilla romba enjoy pannuvinga pola irruku.
//if any of my cousin( aunt's (athai) daughter ) shows offf - they have that day - I will fall head over heals and would make their cheeks glow in pink with my crazy , romantic comments.//
ethana athai ponnunga ungaluku. unga kitta ethavathu oru kalyanathula mattidivange pola irruku. ungala pathale ellarum odiduvaangala.(ofcourse unga kindaluku payanthu thaana.)

@ rajesh,
kalyana mandapam pere marandu pochu, aana south boad road la irrukku. naan ponnu side. neenga kavalaiye padatheenga, nalla sappitu thenga vethala pakku ellam vangikitu thaan vanthen. ippa thrupthiya.
/Time for the next one. I mean attending :-)/
aaha, enna aachu rajesh, ennaku oru doubt unga wife itha padicha enna aagum?(jus kidding yaar)

Ram said...

Veda,
"oru kalyanamna naalu pasanga , naalu ponnunga varunvanga, oruthara oruthar sight adichikitu thaan irupaanga. thats obvious yaar.", ahaa, i thought kalayanamna oru ponnum oru paiyanum sight adichu mudichu onnu saeruvaanga :-). Ok edhuvaarundhaalum nalla irundhaa seri.

vishy said...

enna than irunthalum... namma oru bas la footboard adikkara sugame thani...

the most fun part was getting out of the bus with ur school bag on ur bk.. oru vatti.. naa kootathula erangarathukulla en bag eeh pingu poochu..

arvindh said...

Your post brought back memories of our singarachennai!

arvindh said...

Your post brought back memories of our singarachennai!

வேதா said...

@ vishy,
yes, i too had the experience of footboarding while in college, have u ever seen girls in footboard, if not u can see it in the buses from ethiraj and quaide milleth college, they literally hang on the footboards.

@arvind,
thanks and keep visiting

smiley said...

"athukellam punniyam senjirukanum", absoluely true. I wish I had a special talent too

Delhi_tamilan said...

well.. you have almost made me to think of my own experience while attending our side marriages, truly I really miss them and also travelling in our city buses, oh god.. i miss them now, i only have a chance to visit south once in a year!